Friday, February 11, 2011

Heightened experience

Well, I got my answer re: peace or heady feelings conundrum. Well, actually just more evidence. I still haven't decided which is better and probably never will.

 Today I saw a bunch of my old school friends and it was amazing! One guy and I were so happy to see one another we had one of those movie-style run and lift hugs. Epic moment of pure, flooding happiness. I've spent so much time in the company of the otherwise-existant that I'd forgotton what a proper hug feels like. So one point for heady experiences and real people. But on the other side, once I'd stopped feeling dancey I started worrying what other people though about our reunion, did I look stupid running, will people think we're an item etc. etc. So that's one for the private parasocial relating.

But onto the Buffy thing. Buffy has always been a bit different to my other non-existant friends. I'm not alone among the Joss Whedon fans in feeling that my love and loyalty to the Slayer and her friends just goes beyond what is normal, even for parasocial relationships. I saw a picspam of Buffy smiling the other week and I had tears in my eyes.

I account this to the fact that Buffy got me through some tough times and I know that other people have used the show for strength and solace also. Buffy is a character of tremendous strength and she is helped to have a flawless cast, writing and direction to support her. Buffy can be your strength when you can't find your own. And this is what seems to set her apart particularly to people.

So I can feel emotion about Buffy (particularly at the end of 'The Gift') to rival any real relationship. But at the end of the day I can never run and be held in her arms like I did with my dear friend today. Maybe it's sensation, not emotion, that makes real life worth the messiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment