Thursday, June 30, 2011

Marathon Facebook Rant

I am seriously considereing deleting my Facbook account. I thought it would be great for Uni, people assured me it would but I'm not so convinved anymore. For starters, I use it 90% of the time to talk to my best friend. 1 person (but alot of times). I have two or three times chatted with a guy in my Contracts class. 2 people. Twice I organised a study session using the message function. 4 people. Two catch ups. 6 people, we're up to now. And then I've had various conversations with people over message and comments, maybe ten people, so that makes a grand total of 16 people that I have actually connected with over facebook, and not just liked their status or stalked them.

Actually there was that argument about gay rights I had that time. It was unpleasant but still connecting. So 18 people.

18 people in six months
Average of three per month
I have 112  facebook friends.

So 94 of my 'friends' are in fact just a number in my friend count. They are random stuff that shows up in my news feed. The news feed stuffs not even good! All statuses about what people are 'keen' for (anything from the weekend to eating cheesecake. Fascinating.) or ones that start 'That awkward moment when...' when the story isn't an awkward moment. Get an original thought, people.

I don't hate the news feed. I have several facebook friends who post absolute gold statuses every time; I will sometimes go back months on their wall reading their statuses (Is that stalking?). But you have to wade through so much crap in the news feed to find this stuff. I often think, as I log onto facebook for the fifth time in one day: "What am I doing? What does this accomplish? Why do I even care?"

On the flipside though, you remember my best friend from High School who got into a different University and we were cruelly wrench apart? Well Facebook does help our relationship ALOT. I didn't see her for 25 days straight, but we talked so much via text, email and facebook that I didn't register this until day 22. I don't know if I could get rid of facebook if it meant I'd lose that extra connection.

So only practical solution: delete my 94-odd deadbeat facebook friends. And that doesn't seem rude at all! In all honesty I don't think I'd unfriend that many but it might be time for a spring clean. I don't want to be just a number in someone's friend count, I want people who really care. I want friends who are there for me, on and off Facebook. And I've found plenty of these real friends throughout Primary, High and now Law School. The rest of the numbers in my friend count can shove off until they're actually prepared to invest something in our friendship other than accepting a friend request.

From now on I'm going to drastically change my facebook attitude. If you don't do the time off facebook, you don't get it on facebook. It might take me a while to get the courage to implement this, but I'm going to try.

In other news, my hair is red now. Let's just say I take dressing up as a Weasley very seriously. Red hair really suits me, I've found but I have to not wear red or pink until the colour's gone (it's semi-permanent, 28 washes). Red looked amazing on me when I was light brown-haired, but not so much now.     

No comments:

Post a Comment