Friday, May 6, 2011

Hate, Exes and My Uni Bestie.

On Tuesday night me and my Uni Bestie (not to be confused with my Best Friend, they're two different people...I really must give all these people Blog names) went to the bus stop together and there under the glow of a streetlamp was my Ex-boyfriend.

My Uni Bestie knew me in High School, but not very well, so she'd never seen me interacting with him. Under the streetlamp, he and I bantered a bit while she looked on. I was kind of mean to him, calling him a nerd etc. etc. but he took it all in his stride as usual and teased me back. It was a typical conversation for us.

When he got on his bus, my Uni Bestie turned to me and said:

"Belle, don't get angry, but seriously; you guys will be back together in five years or so."

"What?! Why?" I said, genuinely perplexed since we'd just teased and insulted each other. I ran that thought by her.

"That's why you'll work," She said, "I reckon you have to be able to hate someone to properly love them."

Which was a very interesting thought. At first I wasn't sure what she was getting at and I didn't think that her me-getting-back-with-my-ex theory had alot to it. But the next day I thought about it in terms of power and control. Maybe not hate, but you have to be able to be angry at someone if you're going to have a functioning relationship.

I thought about another failed relationship I'd had where I simply couldn't admit the other parties guilt. EVER. I couldn't be mad at him, I always blamed myself. No power, no control, no self respect. You have to be able to feel angry at someone and to tell them, otherwise you're powerless in love. And that's not healthy. So maybe my Uni Bestie in her own special blunt way, came across this thought. It wasn't a new thought in the scheme of the world by a long chalk. But it was new for us, being young and having our heads in gossip magazines.   

In other news, my Hogwarts Robe and Tie have arrived. They're perfectly wonderful! And I have recommenced watching Smallville after about seven months. So I'll probably be blogging about that too now, as Chloe Sullivan is one of my greatest and most dedicated parasocial relationships. She is the most awesome hacking-sneaking-Watchtowering blonde chick the DC-verse has ever seen and I have worshipped her since I first saw my very first episode of Smallville. Not to put in spoilers, but that thing she does at the end of the Season 10 premiere episode? I wept. No, seriously. Wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment