Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Out of my League

One thing I don't like about being 'all grown up': You're not supposed to cry.

You have to handle things maturely. You have to respond appropriately. And mostly I think this is a very good idea. But not today.

I was with some friends after a seminar, and I had expressed attraction for someone from the class.

I was promptly told by one of my friends that the person in question was 'major league' and that I would not have shot as I was a 'nerd'. The nerd, he told me, never gets the really attractive people. It just doesn't happen, he confidently asserted to my face.

In all honesty, I hadn't any intention to pursue the person in question. I was merely appreciating their good looks. But to be told that I had no chance because I was somehow inferior was a horrible blow.

As a mature adult with excellent perspective I was supposed to be confident in myself and to throw off that comment. And in appearance I think I did. I stood up for myself and for nerds everywhere and told him he was wrong. But when we parted company, the only thing I wanted to do was to run to my Best Friend and sob to her what he'd said, because I'll be honest, it'd really hurt.

But my Best Friend was a half-hour drive away at another university. And the friends I had with me were not people I'd feel right crying in front of. Because 'grown-ups' don't cry.

Today I was told I was barred from dating the upper echelon because I am an undateable, inferior nerd. What a shallow assessment. So I have pictures of my Harry Potter party on my Facebook page? So my idea of a good Saturday is the Antiques Fair followed by an evening making fun of Twilight? So what if there's a Hogwarts uniform on the back of my door and a dolls house workshop in my back room?

This is what makes me unique. This is what makes me interesting. Yes, there are people who I am incompatible with, who are not attracted to me, who do not have common interests with me, who I just plain shouldn't be with. But that doesn't make them out of my league.

Case in Point: Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet. Aladdin and Jasmine. Beauty and the Beast. Mary Donaldson and the freaking Crown Prince of Denmark!


In other news, I have been perusing my blog statistics. A scarily large number of pageviews come from people searching how to do polygamy on Sims. It gladdens my heart to know there are more people like me out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment